- Six slices day old bread (wheat works esp. well for this flavor combination)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4th cup vanilla sugar
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted.
- 1 apple, cored, seeds removed, and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/8 cup sliced almonds
1. Layer the bread, butter, apple, raisins, and sliced almonds in an 8 x 8 pan while you preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk (can be whole, skim, or in between), vanilla extract, and vanilla sugar.
3. Pour the liquid over the bread mixture. Garnish with additional sliced almonds and a small amount of vanilla sugar. Bake at 350 for approx. 40 minutes.
*This is a Caroline original, as original as someone can be making bread pudding