This is the recipe for the winning chili from our office throwdown, courtesy of Ms. Billie Add cornbread, oyster crackers and have various toppings (sour cream, cheddar cheese) and brownies for a full meal. I think Merlot paired well with this.
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- tomato juice
- 1 1/2 – 2 jars of Heinz chili sauce
- “2 alarm chili seasoning” kit found at Walmart
- 3 cans diced tomatoes with peppers
- 2 cans chili beans (1 hot and 1 regular)
- 1 can kidney beans
- Fry hamburger and sausage in skillet. Add chopped onion and red bell pepper, and fry until done. Add a little bit of tomato juice ( just enough to mix the seasonings), and 1.5 to 2 jars of Heinz chili sauce. Then mix all the seasonings of “2-Alarm Chili seasoning” (found at Wal-Mart) except the mesa, I leave that out; also if you add all the red pepper your chili will be very hot, so I normally use half of that packet (1/3 packet is good)
- In the crock pot I add 3 cans of diced tomatoes with peppers. 2 cans of chili beans one hot and one regular, one can of kidney beans, then add the meat mixture and cook on low in crock pot.