Adapted from November, 2010 Cook’s Illustrated. Serves 4 to 6.
- 1 1/2 lb. carrots, cut in whatever manner you prefer, so long as they’re uniform size
- 2 tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- table salt and pepper to taste
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine carrots with butter, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Transfer carrots to foil- or parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and spread in single layer.
- Cover baking sheet tightly with foil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to cook, stirring twice, until carrots are well browned and tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to serving platter, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.