A couple of notes on stir-fry: peanut oil has a higher smoke point than a number of oils, which is why it’s called for in most stir-fry recipes. This cooks so fast you really want the prep work 100% completed before you start cooking. And make any substitutions you want.
INGREDIENTS FOR QUINOA
1 c. quinoa
1 c. pineapple juice
1 c. cold water
1/4 t. soy sauce
INGREDIENTS FOR STIR-FRY
2 c. fresh pineapple, cut into bite-size chunks
4 oz. raw cashews (unsalted)
1 red chili pepper, sliced into very thin rounds (or the equivalent of red chili pepper flakes)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 c. edamame, cooked
2 scallions, sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ c. fresh basil, sliced into thin shreds
½ in. piece gingerroot, peeled and minced
3 T. peanut oil
3 T. soy sauce
3 T. vegetable stock
2 T. fresh mint, finely chopped
1 T. mirin
Lime wedges, for serving
- (Prepare the quinoa first.) Combine quinoa, pineapple juice, water and soy sauce in a medium-sized pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally. Cook for 12 to 14 minutes until all of the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa appears plumped and slightly translucent.
- Uncover, fluff with a fork, and let cool for at least an hour (up to overnight). When ready to use, break up chunks of the cold quinoa with a fork.
PREPARE THE STIR-FRY
- Get out the largest non-stick skillet you own. Prepare all of your ingredients beforehand, as this cooks fast!
- Over low heat, cook the cashews in the dry pan, stirring them, until lightly toasted (approx. 4 min.) Remove the cashews from the pan, raise the heat to medium, and add the peanut oil, scallions and garlic.
- After 1 min., add the sliced chili pepper and ginger. Stir fry for approx.. 2 min., then add the red bell pepper and edamame. Stir-fry for approx.. 3 min., until the bell pepper is softened and edamame is bright green.
- Add the basil and mint, and stir for 1 min. before adding the chopped pineapple and prepared quinoa.
- Separately, combine the soy sauce, vegetable stock and mirin. Pour over the quinoa mixture. Stir to incorporate completely and coat the quinoa.
- Continue to stir-fry for 10 to 14 min., until the quinoa is very hot.
- Serve with lime wedges and additional soy sauce.
http://www.food.com/recipe/pineapple-cashew-quinoa-stir-fry-309239 (Last accessed April 25, 2014).