1 10 oz box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess water
1 c. flour
1 c. chickpeas (either canned, or dried, that have been soaked overnight)
vegetable oil (for frying)
mango chutney (for serving)
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 T. minced fresh ginger
1 t. cumin seeds
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1. Combine flour, cornstarch, cumin, baking powder, cayenne, and 1 t. salt in a bowl. Add 2/3 c. water and whisk until smooth.
2. Add spinach, chickpeas, onion and ginger to the batter and mix together.
3. Heat vegetable oil in dutch oven or iron skillet until the oil reaches 325 degrees. Working in batches so as not to crowd the oven/skillet, drop heaping tablespoonfulls into the oil. Cook until slightly golden, turning as needed.
4. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Cool slightly, then press each fritter into a small disk, approx. 1/3 in. thick.
5. Return the fritters to the hot oil and fry until crisp and golden brown. Season with salt and serve with chutney.
As modified from foodnetwork.com, last accessed July 6, 2014.