8 oz elbow macaroni
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 c. milk
1 c. dry bread crumbs
1 8oz package cream cheese
¼ c. butter plus 2 T. butter for topping
3 T. all-purpose flour
2 T. parsley, chopped
2 t. Dijon mustard
½ t. ground black pepper
Salt, to taste
A few dashes hot sauce (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain.
- Melt 1/4 c. butter in a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Stir flour into melted butter and cook until smooth and bubbling, about 1 minute. Mix milk, cream cheese, jalapeno peppers, Dijon mustard, black pepper, and salt into flour-butter mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Mix macaroni and Cheddar cheese into sauce; pour into a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Mix bread crumbs, 2 T. butter, and parsley together in a bowl; spread over macaroni and cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
As modified from http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/241462/home-style-macaroni-and-cheese/?internalSource=search%20result&referringContentType=search%20results (Last accessed July 21, 2015)